Saturday, July 7, 2007

Boxes or Bunnies?


It's amazing how a box sometimes becomes secondary to the letterboxing hunt itself. After all what's more important? Finding the box? Or is it what we see, hear, smell & sense along the way? I'm sure there are differing opinions on that. But we (The Thompson Twins) lately seem to be falling into the latter category more than the former. Often it’s what we see and hear that makes the letterboxing trip.

Yesterday afternoon we were boxing in Brunswick. We were on a dusky, dewy trail shortly after a drenching rainstorm. The scents were mossy and damp. The sights were dim but lush. The sounds were somehow magnified by hanging crystalline raindrops on outstretched branches and ferns.

Along the way the clue pointed out a bench... not for sitting, but for it's proximity to a side-trail. The description of the side-trail told of a ferned swampy area... We chose to check it out. Wide eyed we viewed a tiny trail traversing fern beds leading to a wide, mossy bog. It was a rarely viewed sight. But one worth seeing. Squirrels and chipmunks clearly thought so too. They chattered and chirped eagerly in our presence as we checked out this bog. We'd never have been graced with their companionship if we'd never visited. Sometimes it's the side-trail where the best memories are made.

Anyway... the search for the box was unsuccessful in an "F-count" sense. But so successful as a soul-enriching experience. Heading toward the end of the trail we found the best sounds, sights and experiences of the day! Spying yet another side-trail... perhaps the box was there? We stepped lightly down the side-trail, a most unexpected visitor appeared. A gray-brown bunny burst from the underbrush. We watched as he hopped quickly down a small pine-needle peppered embankment. He sped purposefully under ferns, around fallen logs and through the forest primeval. Not leaving our view for fifty yards or more. What an unexpected encounter! It was our first bunny sighted on a letterbox trail and hopefully not the last.

Believe it or not... It wasn't the last one that day! We, The Thompson Twins, watched our little friend for quite a time until he slipped from view. The letterbox search continued.

As I, (Mr. Thompson Twins... Tim) searched the underbrush for the box, I nearly bumped bodily into a second bunny! He sat totally still, wide-eyed and staring at me. You've heard of those, "one with nature" experiences? This was as close as I've ever come... Quietly beckoning (Mrs. Thompson Twins... Linda) she joined me eyeing our second close encounter of the day.

The bunny’s ears were magnificent. Nearly translucent. A pale velvet covered pink. It seemed he'd never move. It seemed we'd never move. In awe and wonder my thoughts turned to the digital camera in my backpack. Could I capture the image of this creature? Would he run as I tried for the camera? I had to try. Carefully and quietly I reached back... I got my hand on the zipper... Slowly, tooth by tooth I unzipped the pack... Open! I bent my arm awkwardly into the bag.... Moving aside log-books, markers and other backpack litter. I found it! I pulled and the bag rustled. The bunny bolted but our hearts leaped.

A photo opportunity lost. But moments engraved in our minds forever! So the question stands... Is it the box found? Or is it the hunt? Boxes or bunnies... You decide!

1 comment:

Lady Slpa said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you! It's the adventure getting to the box that makes this hobby so wonderful. While I love a good driveby when time is short, the longer journeys are our true passion. We enjoy discovering new locales immensely, and if we are lucky enough to find a stamp at the end of the trail, it's a wonderful bonus!